(Dec 29) New version 0.9.8-18 has been released

I got "HTTP ERROR 500" on webpage but no error log found

Questions regarding the Web Server
Apache + Nginx, Nginx + PHP5-FPM
Forum rules
Before creating a new topic or reply on the forum you should fill out additional fields "Os" and "Web" in your profile section.
In case of violation, the topic can be closed or response from the support will not be received.
baijianpeng

I got "HTTP ERROR 500" on webpage but no error log found

Postby baijianpeng » Thu May 11, 2017 11:06 pm

My server was built with VestaCP v0.98-17 over Ubuntu 16.04. My website was built with Joomla CMS (updated to latest 3.7.0 ).

Today I tried to update a download file in the Remository component of my Joomla installation. When I click on "Save" button at the backend of Joomla, I got following error message:

HTTP ERROR 500

There is no further error message, even after I enabled Error Reporting of Joomla to "development". So I have no idea what caused this 500 error.

Then I login in SSH terminal and tried to find out the corresponding error logs. But there is no records in this time in following files:

Code: Select all

/var/log/apache2/access.log (empty file)
/var/log/apache2/error.log
/var/log/apache2/domains/joomlagate.com.error.log

/var/log/nginx/access.log (empty file)
/var/log/nginx/error.log (empty file)

The folder "/var/log/nginx/domains" is empty.

Now, how can I know why there is such a "500 error" when I trying to save a file in Remository at Joomla backend? Which log file on the server should I look into?

Thank you.

Rodpascoe

Re: I got "HTTP ERROR 500" on webpage but no error log found

Postby Rodpascoe » Fri May 12, 2017 4:04 pm

500 server errors are 99% of the time caused by incorrect file permissions / ownership or a problem in your .htaccess file.

I'd check those as your first step.

baijianpeng

Re: I got "HTTP ERROR 500" on webpage but no error log found

Postby baijianpeng » Fri May 12, 2017 11:52 pm

That "download" item in my Remository component is a "remote download", means that there is no file needs to be saved to my own hosting server, just text data need to be saved to Database tables.

I have no idea why Remository won't save that file.

Thank you.

Return to “Web Server”